serves 4 to 5
- 1 Dal Makhani Spice Kit
- ¾ to 1 cup dry black lentils
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1-inch cube ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 tbs butter
- ¼ to ½ cup cream
- vegetable oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Rinse and drain lentils. Add to saucepan with 3 cups water and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, cover lightly, and reduce to low. Simmer 30 min or until very soft; stir occasionally. Add water as needed to keep lentils covered. Do not drain.
Peel and finely chop onion. Heat 1 tbs oil on medium in large saucepan. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 min, then add onion. Sauté 7 - 10 min until lightly browned.
Peel and finely grate ginger and garlic. Add to pan and sauté 1 min. Add MASALA POWDER, 2 tbs butter, and 2 tbs water. Sauté 2 min.
Add tomato sauce and ¼ tsp salt. Reduce to low, cover, and simmer 10 min; stir occasionally.
Add lentils (with cooking liquid) and stir well. Cover and simmer 15 min. Add 2 tbs butter, cream, and salt to taste. Boil with lid off to thicken and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan, substitute:
- non-dairy spread for butter
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew butter mixed with 2 tbs hot water OR ¼ cup cashew cream for cream
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter and/or vegetable oil