serves 4 to 5
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1-inch cube ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbs butter
- vegetable oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Cut chicken into 1 ½ inch pieces. Mix with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside.
Peel and finely chop onion. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan on medium. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 minute, then add onion. Sauté 7 - 10 minutes until lightly browned. While onion is frying, peel and finely grate ginger and garlic.
Add to ginger and garlic to pan and sauté 1 minutes. Add MASALA POWDER, butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes.
Add chicken and sauté 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir well. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken cooked through; stir occasionally.
Add salt to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
to make vegan/vegetarian, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm cubed tofu or plant-based "chicken" for chicken
- add 2 cups cooked green beans, broccoli, potatoes or vegetable of choice with coconut milk for a one-pot meal