serves 4 to 5
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs beef or lamb stew meat, or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 large shallots (1 cup finely chopped)
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs butter
- ½ cup plain full-fat yogurt
- vegetable oil
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium-high. Cut meat into 2-inch cubes and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Sear meat in single layer 2 minutes per side or until browned. Remove to a bowl.
Peel and finely chop shallots. In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 minute, then add shallots. Sauté 7 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. While onions are frying, peel and finely grate ginger and garlic.
Add ginger and garlic to pan and sauté 1 minute. Add MASALA POWDER, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes.
Stir in meat (and accumulated juices), yogurt, and ½ tsp salt. Cover and reduce to low. Simmer 90 minutes or until meat is very tender; if using chicken thighs reduce simmer time to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add water if meat is dry.
If curry is thin, boil uncovered until excess liquid reduces. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan/vegetarian, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, 8 ounces tempeh, or plant-based steak tips (cut into 1-inch cubes) for meat. Reduce simmer time to 30 minutes in Step 4.
- 8 ounces minced mushrooms and 2 cups cubed potato for meat; increase saute time in Step 1 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release liquid.
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter
- to make in InstantPot, follow Steps 1 - 3 using Sauté More function. Turn off, cover, and pressure cook on Meat/Stew or for 35 minutes on High Pressure (or 15 minutes if using plant-based "meat"). Quick release pressure and boil off excess liquid (uncovered) using Saute More function if desired.