serves 4 to 5
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs pork shoulder or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium yellow onions (2 cups sliced)
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium-high. Cut pork/chicken into 2-inch cubes and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Sear in a single layer 2 minutes per side until browned (may need to do in batches). Remove to a bowl.
Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil. Peel and thinly slice onions. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 minute, then add onions and ¼ tsp salt. Sauté 7 - 10 minutes until lightly browned. While onions are frying, peel and finely grate ginger and garlic.
Add ginger and garlic to pan and sauté 1 minute. Add MASALA POWDER, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes.
Stir in pork/chicken, vinegar, ½ cup water, ¼ teaspoon salt, and brown sugar. Cover and reduce to low. Simmer 30 minutes (chicken) to 60 minutes (pork) or until meat is very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if meat is drying out.
Add additional salt, vinegar, and/or brown sugar to taste. Boil with lid off to thicken curry and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan/vegetarian, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm cubed tofu, 8 ounces cubed tempeh, or plant-based steak tips or chicken for meat. Reduce simmer time to 30 minutes in Step 4.
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms and 2 cups cubed sweet potato for meat. Skip Step 1 and fry vegetables with onions in Step 2. Reduce simmer time to 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through; add water if curry is drying out.
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter
- to make in InstantPot, follow Steps 1 - 3 using Sauté More function. Turn off, cover, and pressure cook on Meat/Stew or for 35 minutes on High Pressure (or 15 minutes if using plant-based "meat"). Quick release pressure and boil off excess liquid (uncovered) using Saute More function if desired.