serves 4 to 5
- 1 Aloo Gobi Spice Kit
2 medium potatoes
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 small onion
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbs butter
- vegetable oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Preheat oven to 450º. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes and cauliflower into large florets. Toss with 1 tbs oil and ½ tsp salt. Roast on baking sheet for 20 to 30 min until browned, tossing after 15 min.
Finely chop onion. Heat 1 tbs oil in large frying pan on medium. Add WHOLE SPICES to pan, stir 1 min, then add onion. Sauté 7 to 10 min until lightly browned.
Peel and finely grate ginger and garlic. Add to pan and sauté 1 min. Add MASALA POWDER, 1 tbs butter, and 2 tbs water. Sauté 2 min.
Mix in tomato sauce and ½ tsp salt. Cover and simmer on low 10 min; stir occasionally.
Add potatoes, cauliflower, and ¼ to ½ cup water. Simmer 2 min. Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan, substitute non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter
- to make a dry version, omit tomato sauce and skip Step 4 and don't add water in Step 5.
- stir in 1/2 cup frozen green peas with potato and cauliflower in Step 5
- substitute 4 cups halved brussels sprouts for cauliflower
- for lower-carb version, substitute 8 ounces halved mushrooms for potato