serves 4 to 5
- 1 Butter Masala Spice Kit
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs plain yogurt
- 1 tbs honey
- ¼ to ½ cup cream
- vegetable oil
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Peel and finely grate ginger and garlic. Cut chicken into 1 ½ inch pieces. Combine chicken, ginger, garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbs fresh lime juice, and yogurt.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Sauté chicken ~8 minutes or until browned. While chicken is cooking, peel and finely chop onion. Remove chicken to a bowl (it will finish cooking later) and reduce heat to medium.
Add 1 tbs oil to same pan. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 minute, then add onion. Sauté 7 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Mix in MASALA POWDER, 2 tablespoons butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes, then add tomato sauce and ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and simmer on low 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
Add chicken and accumulated juices, honey, 2 tablespoons butter, cream, and ¼ to ½ cup warm water. Simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add salt to taste and chopped cilantro if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
Variationsto make vegan/vegetarian, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, one head cauliflower (cut into large florets), or plant-based "chicken" for chicken
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew butter mixed with 2 tbs hot water OR ¼ cup cashew cream for cream
- non-dairy plain or cashew yogurt for regular yogurt