- 1 Chana Masala Spice Kit
- 2 cans garbanzo beans
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbs butter
- vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion and cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Peel and finely chop onion. Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 min, then add chopped onion. Sauté 7 - 10 minutes until lightly browned.
While onions are frying, peel and finely grate ginger and garlic and drain and rinse garbanzo beans; set aside.
Add ginger-garlic to pan and sauté 1 min. Add MASALA POWDER, 1 tablespoon butter/non-dairy spread, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes.
Add garbanzo beans with tomato sauce, 1 cup warm water, and 1 tsp salt. Reduce to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
(Optional) Garnish with finely chopped red onion and cilantro.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan, substitute non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter and/or vegetable oil
- stir in a few handfuls of baby spinach or kale with garbanzo beans
- sauté 8 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms with onions
- sauté 1 small diced potato with onions