serves 4 to 5
- 1 Saag Paneer Spice Kit
- 10 to 16 oz baby spinach
- 6 to 12 oz paneer
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbs butter
- vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cream or half 'n half
* see Variations below
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in frying pan on medium-high. Sauté spinach 2 to 3 minutes until barely wilted and bright green. Transfer spinach to blender with 1 cup of ice cubes, and puree (with lid slightly ajar to let steam escape) until smooth.
Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil to same pan. Peel and finely chop onion. Add WHOLE SPICES to pan, stir 1 minute, then add onion. Sauté 7 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Peel and finely grate ginger and garlic. Add to pan and sauté 1 minute. Add MASALA POWDER, butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes.
Mix in tomato sauce and ½ teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
Cut paneer into cubes. Add to pan with pureed spinach and cream and stir well. Simmer 2 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
- to make vegan, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm tofu or for paneer
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew butter mixed with 2 tbs hot water OR ¼ cup cashew cream for cream
- for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for butter and/or vegetable oil
- sauté 8 oz thinly sliced mushrooms with onions in Step 2
- substitute 4 cups cubed, roasted or steamed potatoes for paneer
- use frozen cut leaf spinach instead fresh; skip sautéing in Step 1 and puree with 2 tablespoons water instead of ice cubes