serves 4 to 5
- 1 Tikka Masala Spice Kit
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1-inch cube fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs plain yogurt
- ¼ to ½ cup cream or half 'n half
- vegetable oil
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
*see Variations below
Peel and finely grate ginger and garlic. Cut chicken into 1 ½ inch pieces. Combine chicken, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, and yogurt.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Sauté chicken 8 minutes or until browned. While chicken is cooking, peel and finely chop onion. Remove chicken to a bowl (it will finish cooking later).
Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil to same pan. Add WHOLE SPICES, stir 1 minute, then add onion. Sauté 7 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Mix in MASALA POWDER, butter, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté 2 minutes, then add 1 cup tomato sauce and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and simmer on low 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
Add chicken (and accumulated juices), cream, and ¼ to ½ cup warm water. Simmer 5 minutes or until chicken cooked through. Add salt to taste and chopped cilantro if desired.
Note: Larger whole spices are not meant to be eaten. Remove before serving or instruct diners to avoid/remove while eating.
to make vegan/vegetarian, substitute:
- non-dairy spread or vegetable oil for butter
- 1 block extra-firm cubed tofu or one head cauliflower (cut into large florets) for chicken
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew butter mixed with 2 tbs hot water OR ¼ cup cashew cream for cream
- non-dairy plain or cashew yogurt for regular yogurt
for an extra-rich flavor, substitute ghee for vegetable oil (use butter as directed)